I am already a Lactivist, but I was enlightened to even more information regarding the benefits of breastfeeding (thank you, Becki). Breastfeeding can decrease your risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. How cool is that? Not only that, but the Academy of Pediatrics prefers women to breastfeed for at least a year...yes, a year...because human milk aids in fighting off infections and helps boost the immune system. Human milk is also easier to digest than formula. My breastfeeding buddy Becki couldn't have sent this link (which I will include at the end of this blog) at a better time. For the last couple of weeks, since I have returned to the working world, there were times when we had to give little Ryan formula. He had/has a voracious appetite and was nursing me dry. I couldn't keep up! I felt horrible, like I wasn't doing my part as his mother to produce enough milk. We had already started giving him cereal in the evenings, but it wasn't enough. So we started him on foods. I continue to nurse Ryan in the mornings, evenings, and throughout the day. Receiving this link from Becki made me feel so much better. I now know that I am doing what is best and what is right for my son. Plus, I breastfed Natalie for over a year. I feel like a good mom again!
http://www.promom.org/101/

No comments:
Post a Comment